What is a Nikah (عقد نكاح) ?
In Islam, the marriage between a bride and groom is a legal contract, known as Nikah.
What is required to be Islamically married?
A Nikah (عقد نكاح) must be performed between the bride and groom in order to be Islamically married.
Who performs the Nikah?
The Nikah is performed by the Imam of Islamic Cultural Center of New York.
Does my Nikah mean I am legally married?
No. The Nikah ceremony means you are Islamically married. You are not legally married until you obtain a marriage license from your local government, or go through the dedicated processes your local government has in place to legally marry its residents.
As the bride, do I need a Wali (guardian)?
How do I book the service and what day and time is available to conduct a Nikah?
By appointment. Please call us: 212-722-5234
Will I get Nikah certificate?
Yes, after the Nikah has conducted, you will receive your Nikah certificate.
Requirements for Nikah (عقد نكاح)
- Mutual agreement to marry between the bride and groom (Ijab-wa-Qubul).
- Two sane adult male witnesses.
- Dowry (mahr) to be paid by the groom to the bride.
- Guardian (wali) for the bride.
- Written marriage contract (Aqd-Nikah) signed by the bride and groom, and the two witnesses.
- Marriage sermon (khutbah).